This red medal from the German Democratic Republic is made from porcelain (Böttger stoneware). It commemorates the capital city of Berlin as well as the Red Town Hall, or the “Rotes Rathaus”, and with a weight of 43g, it is exceptionally solid.
This special commemorative medal is produced in the world-famous Meissen porcelain manufactory.
The production of porcelain in the factory at Meissen, near Dresden, started in 1710 and attracted artists and artisans to establish, arguably, the most famous porcelain manufacturer known throughout the world.
Its signature logo, the crossed swords, was introduced in 1720 to protect its production; the mark of the swords is reportedly one of the oldest trademarks in existence and is shown on the reverse of the medal.